Thursday, January 5, 2012

Procrastination

     I did not invent this concept, but I can be one of the best at it.  I make my husband crazy because I do not start to pack for vacation until right before we are ready to leave.  He begins to pack days before to be sure that nothing is forgotten.  Me?  Not so much.  When people tell my husband how organized I am at work, he thinks they are talking about someone else.  My grandmother used the old cliche, "Do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today."  (She was usually referring to the need for me to clean my room.)  I have always had a tendency to wait until the last minute to do things.  I tried to convince myself and others around me that I work better under pressure.  I have heard many people use this excuse, and this may be true for some people.  But, for most of us, the work that is created in a rush is usually not our best work.  Things are missed and forgotten.
     I have learned that procrastination has no place in the medical field.  Missing or forgetting something could mean the difference between life and death or injury.  Planning, implementation of the plan and reassessment is required in order to facilitate a successful outcome.  Outcomes refer to the end result.  To reach a successful outcome good assessment skills and good communications skills are required.  Creating the best plan in the world for a patient means nothing if no one else understands, agrees with or undestands the plan.

 Successful outcomes include the following basic ideas:
     1. Assess the situation
     2. Gather all the information that you can about the situation
     3. Make a plan
     4. Communicate your plan to others clearly
     5. Put the plan into action
     6. Reassess the plan.  Did you meet your desired outcomes?  Does the plan need to be revised?
    
     This approach can be applied to anything from caring for an emergency room patient to planning your next picnic.  Break the parts down, make lists as needed and always keep your "desired outcome" in mind.  For the patient it may be for them to return to their previous state of health.  For your picnic, it will be for everyone to relax and have a good time. (including yourself)

No comments:

Post a Comment