Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nurse V. Daughter (2)

     Well, another day at the rehab facility. Mom looked good this morning. Her speech is getting better everyday. Her occasional "off key" sense of humor is keeping us on our toes. She is still having some long periods of extremely deep sleep. We are not quite sure what to make of that just yet. It can be very difficult to wake her when she gets too deep. I mean, we are talking deep sternal rub at times with little response. Then she pops her eyes open and is mad that someone has disturbed her. Visual hallucinations are improved- no snowmen recently.
     Therapy is getting in to full swing and she seems to be doing well with it. I know that the therapists are not working her hard yet because she is not mad at them. I have always felt that unless you are cussing your therapist, they are not pushing you hard enough. They look at her and are afraid to push too hard. I know she has more in her than what they are trying to get out.
     Got to meet the physician today who will be following her. He tried to tell me that clamping a Foley catheter or cathing for a post residual urine was a skill performed in an "acute care facility", not a rehab facility. For anyone who knows what I am like- yeah, my brain pretty much exploded about that time. I stopped talking to him at that point. (There is a lot more to that part of the story that needs to be shared at a later date.)
     The staff at the facility have been good overall. I have been a little disappointed at a few things, but nothing earth shattering. Let's face it- nothing is perfect. I have worked in a number of facilities throughout my career and have not made every patient that I have cared for happy. Most seem to care very much about the care that they provide and I am satisfied with that.
     Keep following for the on going saga and the difficulty of being the professional and the daughter at the same time. Later in the week we request a full shower- woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment